Saturday, December 4, 2010

School...

So yesterday was my first day at school. It is a beautiful old building in the middle of Chartres - the prettiest town I have ever seen to date. Here was my itinerary for the day:
6:00 am - Wake up. Its still darl outside and about -6 or -7 degrees
6:58 am - My bus comes. I'm pretty scared when I realise that I'm getting on it alone, after a scare on the train my first day
7:30 - Arrive in Chartres. Gilles was there to meet me thankfully although that didn't comfort me until I actually saw him because the part when he told me about that plan must have been one of the parts I didnt understand but nodded my head and said 'Oui oui, bien sur'. We walk to the school
8:30 - Some students meet me to be my 'tour guides' for the day
8:50 - First Period starts (Maths). It is insanely hard. I didnt understand any of it. I was stared at alot of the time but all I could understand of their conversations was 'Australian'. You might be under the impression the French dont take that well to foreigners, but the fact that I was trying to speak French went a long way I think. They were all pretty nice. As I met everyone I kissed them on both cheeks whiwh was cool.
9:50 - End of class. Almost the whole year level cogregates at the front of the school for a smoke.
10:00 - Science. I can understand some of it because the principles are the same in English.
11:00 - History/Geography. Everything goes over my head.
12:00 - Lunch. The people Im sitting with are rolling their own cigarettes haha. Lunch comprises of 3 courses. You have a choice of salads for the entrée, choice of different meats with rice for main, and a choice of chocolate mousse or yogurt for dessert. You also have a rather large bread roll with a choice of spreads. Take that Australian Canteens.
1.00 - Lunch still.
2:00 - English. This was pretty fun for me. So easy. My teacher is crazy.
3:00 - History/Geography. Goes over my head again
4:00 - Meet my host father and go home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the French and their smoking..YOU could be rolling a cigarette in one hand and eating fromage and a bagette in the other in no time at all;) School sounded scary but fun all at the same time. Hand gestures go along way in your first few weeks in a foreign country. It should all become second nature soon and then you can concentrate more on catching a few more words. I'm looking forward to your next instalment..possibly.. The Renaissance and it's architecture..or whatever!

    ReplyDelete